>> 27 October 2010
(or how a bug list can help you invent the next hype)
The other day, someone posted a wish on Twitter along the lines of 'I wish teabags wouldn't drip when you try to throw them away'.
I answered with 'A wish is a niche'.
Think about it for a while.
The dripping teabag bugged someone enough to come up with a solution for it.
Does it ever happen to you that you wish something was different or worked better?
Let's do a little exercise here:
Create your Bug List (or problem bank) by listing all the things that:
- don’t work quite right,
- bug or annoy you,
- you notice people struggling with
- you struggle with
- you think need improvement
You add to this list by observing people around you, your customers, your competitors, your family.
Here is my today's bug list:
- Buttons coming off shirts
- Standard helpdesk response emails
- Unscrewing a screw when you have no screwdriver
- Time lost during driving
- I have the best ideas in my car - but I need to record them while driving: I wish I could just speak a text and a device would turn it into a text document - my blog posts would be written in no time! (something like it exists, but not available in Luxembourg, duh!)
- Remembering all your codes and passwords
Combine any new ideas with your bug list.
Connect the unlikely, the impossible, the unthinkable. See what comes out of it.
It might be a niche!