Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Philosophy - A Guide to Happiness

>> 12 January 2009



Happiness is like a butterfly;

the more you chase it,

the more it will elude you,

but if you turn your attention to other things,
it will come
and sit softly on your shoulder

-- Henry David Thoreau


Today I want to share this video with you on philosopher Epicurus' view on happiness.
According to him we don't know what we need.
We only needs three things to be happy: Friends, Freedom and An Analysed Life.
He also explains why shopping does not make us happy...




This video is part of a six part series on philosophy presented by popular British philosopher Alain de Botton, featuring six thinkers who have influenced history, and their ideas about the pursuit of the happy life.

In the same series:

Socrates on Self-Confidence
Seneca on Anger
Montaigne on Self-Esteem
Shopenhauer on Love
Nietzsche on Hardship

3 comments:

Anonymous,  13 January 2009 at 03:39  

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joyce

http://www.videophonesguide.com

Lance 13 January 2009 at 11:21  

I loved this Mimi! Epicurus' message really is one of what true happiness is. And it's not the "things" we have in our lives - it's knowing ourselves, and having true friendship! Very cool!

Mindful Mimi 14 January 2009 at 10:40  

@ Linda: thanks for stopping by and welcome.

@ Lance: yes, I love messages like these. Things can easily turn into clutter and keep us from seeing the real importance of life.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP