Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

If human beings are perceived as potentials rather than problems, as possessing strengths instead of weaknesses, as unlimited rather that dull and unresponsive, then they thrive and grow to their capabilities. -- Barbara Bursh

>> 27 July 2010

I was never good at math.

In fact, I kind of hate numbers. Of all sorts. Whether they are used to calculate, to grade someone, to make a priority list...

In May I went on a trip with my friends and it is only now that I have overcome my procrastination of doing the accounts on who owes what amount to whom.

I am allergic against spreadsheets :-)

This is definitely my weakness.
And it got a lot of attention and focus when I was in school (that, and physics and chemistry - I am really not a science type).

I was really good at languages. That was definitely my strength.
I passed all language subjects every year without any problems (and in Luxembourg school that means at least 3: German, French, English). I was good at writing, telling stories, setting up, coordinating things.

Noone ever said anything about those subjects. I passed them, so no need to comment. Commenting was for subjects you failed or sucked at.

And I wonder why that is.

Marcus Buckingham is wondering the same:



and Sir Ken Robinson also thinks the education system needs to change because it's killing creativity.

And I wonder how my life would have changed if school, my parents and teachers had focused on my strengths...

What are your strengths? Are others putting them aside to focus on your weaknesses? Are you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP