Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark - Victor Hugo

>> 20 March 2008


I am a fervent reader.

I love books.

I love to buy books. I love to own them.

I buy more books than I read.

Maybe this comes from a childhood frustration? We were not poor, but spending money on books was seldom done. We lived in a small village in the country and there was no library close enough to get to. But we had what I call a wonderful invention: a library bus full of books would stop in our village every two weeks and I made sure never to miss it. It made me discover books that I would never have read otherwise. For free.
I remember the joy I felt when hearing the honking music announcing the arrival of the bus. Entering it was like penetrating into a secret, wonderful world full of stories. For me, the magic of books dates back to that time and has only amplified today.

The library bus still exists and tours the little villages to bring books to the reading community with half of its books for children and young adults.

I went there today with our 2 year old. He knows what a bus is, but he couldn't seem to grasp why a bus should contain books instead of people. He was more interested in the other kids than in the books but once at home 'bookbus' had become a new word in his evergrowing vocabulary and I hope to have planted the magic bookseed in him too.

4 comments:

Laura Brown 21 March 2008 at 22:53  

I buy a lot of books too. There is nothing as nice as a fresh, new book. I buy mostly second hand books so it really is a treat to have one really new book. I've also got more than I can read. But that doesn't stop me.

Anonymous,  22 March 2008 at 17:50  

Lovely post, made me smile, thanks :-)

La delirante 24 March 2008 at 15:06  

"I am a fervent reader.


I love books.


I love to buy books. I love to own them.


I buy more books than I read" That's me too :)

Miranda - Tech Div 24 March 2008 at 15:46  

I love to read! I'm addicted to all things fantasy, but won't turn down anything that's a good read.

I bought books for my children long before I ever conceived, I hope too that one day he loves them as much as I do.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP