Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Sharing is rewarding

>> 4 March 2010

Bored with his ad agency gig and the uninspiring work he was producing, Ji Lee – now Creative Director of Google Creative Lab – decided to take matters into his own hands in 2002.

The result was the ad-spoofing Bubble Project, in which Lee placed blank speech bubbles on ads around New York City.

The masses responded and the project went viral, gaining Lee recognition and ultimately forwarding his professional career.

Here, Lee talks about how he created, financed, and marketed the project single-handedly.


5 comments:

Lance 4 March 2010 at 11:33  

It is so interesting to hear Ji's story, and how it came to be. And you know, Mimi, I think this idea that we give it away is a powerful one. Or really, how we share our unique talents, instead of keeping them behind closed doors....

The Napkin Dad 4 March 2010 at 18:31  

Great idea! I use bubbles every day in my napkin drawings. I think drawing one with a blank bubble will be coming soon, see what type of response I get.
Thanks for posting this Mimi, I appreciate your blog for things just like this.

NapkinDad

Tim 5 March 2010 at 14:34  

Hi Mimi:

Thanks for sharing this video...as a former ad agency account person, I've spent my share of meetings hearing our clients shoot down idea after idea. So I can identify with Ji's reason for this project. I think he presents some great lessons...especially that sometimes we need do it ourselves. Our personal blogs can be a great place to start. In any case, thanks for this informative, amusing vid!

Mindful Mimi 5 March 2010 at 15:01  

@Lance: I love sharing and I do so often. I think people who have ideas and are afraid to get them out in the open because they think that someone else might steal them have deeper issues :-)

@Marty: Glad my posts inspire you. Have a look at my Mindful Creativity Facbook page for more such things:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mindful-Creativity/374406399991?ref=ts

@Tim: I think the shooting down of ideas happens in all areas, not just in advertising :-) Have a look at the above link I gave Marty for more inspiration of this kind.

The Napkin Dad 5 March 2010 at 17:30  

I just used the idea as a way to find my first Guest Blogger on The Napkin Dad Daily, thank you! http://www.napkindad.com

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP