>> 27 February 2011
- They find the penny (or even a bill) on the street.
- They bump into the right people at the right moment.
- Good things just happen to them all the time.
- They are seated next to Carl Lewis on the plane (yes yes, I know someone).
- They get to do the coolest things they love to do.
- They keep coming up with the best ideas.
And then why don't these things happen to me?
Well, let me ask you a question: Do you notice every 'little thing'?
No, of course not. How can you? You only have one brain. You have a job, kids, stuff to handle, groceries to buy, appointments to get to, emails to respond to while walking down the street to catch the bus.
No time to notice EVERY little thing.
No, of course not. But do you notice ANY little thing?
Is your mind open to luck, to simple things, to stuff that has nothing to do with what your mind is on about right now?
I have just spent two days in Rome and I have noticed the following little things:
- Otto is eight in Italian and also the name of a guy. It can be written in a very creative, designy way.
- There is art on pavements (not only in Rome)
- Italian cab drivers have a nice little plaque with their name inside the cab.
- There was no room service in my hotel (ok, maybe not such a small thing after all)
- The contents of my minibar were included in my room charge (too bad they forgot to tell me this beforehand...)
- They have huge, tall, heavy, wooden, decorated doors. I wonder who makes those.
- Hardly anyone wears heals (too many cobble stoned streets).
- Most Italian scooters are no longer of Italian brands.
- etc etc etc
But all these little ideas will sit in my head and I just know they will meet some other information there that can be useful.
Or the little things are waiting (simmering, incubating) until I notice some other little thing so that they can mate and create a wonderful little idea.
What are the little things you are noticing this week?
And if you're completely out of practice, I suggest you go for a walk with a toddler of 3 or 4. They do notice EVERY little thing.