Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Fight with me - Sen. John McCain

>> 8 September 2008


During his nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention (full text and video here), Sen. John McCain's ended by saying the following:

I'm going to fight for my cause every day as your President. I'm going to fight to make sure every American has every reason to thank God, as I thank Him: that I'm an American, a proud citizen of the greatest country on earth, and with hard work, strong faith and a little courage, great things are always within our reach.

Fight with me.
Fight with me.
Fight for what's right for our country.
Fight for the ideals and character of a free people.
Fight for our children's future.
Fight for justice and opportunity for all.
I find that he uses the word FIGHT a bit too much. I guess it's to be expected from an ex-Navy man and Vietnam Veteran. But still... It sounds a bit scary and unbelievable to me.
Why?
Well scary because: do we really want more fighting? I believe that one can achieve all of the above without fights.
And unbelievable because: the guy is 72! How much energy does he have left to do what he says he will do?
Needless to say that I am not pro McCain :-) Yes, I prefer Obama's much more positive words: promise, change, sense of responsibility, hope, help, build, end the war, finish the fight...

Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems, but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves - protect us from harm and provide every child a decent education; keep our water clean and our toys safe; invest in new schools and new roads and new science and technology.

Our government should work for us, not against us. It should help us, not hurt us. It should ensure opportunity not just for those with the most money and influence, but for every American who's willing to work.

This country of ours has more wealth than any nation, but that's not what makes us rich. We have the most powerful military on Earth, but that's not what makes us strong. Our universities and our culture are the envy of the world, but that's not what keeps the world coming to our shores.

Our world is full of violence, fighting, war, crime - why add more?
Can we try to first live our best lives before we criticise others, before we meddle with countries were we have none but an economical, egotistical interest?
I am not saying that Obama is the perfect candidate. A perfect candidate, like a perfect person, does not exist. However, he seems to be a bit wiser (even though he is much younger) when it comes to life and what's important. He is not ashamed to admit that he cannot solve all problems. I find that much more appealing and reassuring that someone who calls me to fight with him.

6 comments:

namesconnie 9 September 2008 at 01:06  

Like your line of thinking here. Thanks for sharing your views. Sincerely, Connie PS I got a library book on "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and tried some exercises in it. Thanks for the info. on that book. I had it sitting on my table, but hadn't even gotten to it yet. I liked drawing upside down and seeing how good the drawing actually turned out, too. :-)

DebMc 9 September 2008 at 02:39  

I respectfully disagree. I was unfortunately enough to have voted for Jimmy Carter in the late 70s. His was a similar appeal to Obama's. And he was a weak, easily intimidated president. Terrorists did run rampant over us in Tehran. Funny, how they folded when Reagan was elected. I don't want to expose the US unneccesarily.

I like McCain's courage to challenge the status quo. I like his committment to his country. I like his strength of character. I really like his running mate. Together they have a record of actual change in their political careers. That's something I can believe in.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting election to watch and vote in. It will be my youngest son's first. Very memorable.

Anonymous,  10 September 2008 at 15:40  

The "fight" thing is just a lyrical device, similar to MLK Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech - it isn't meant to represent anything in particular. Someone else wrote it for him, anyway, I'd be willing to bet.

McCain I'm not sure about, but Obama has something too eerily in common with Bush. It is an attitude of "Here, let your kindly government run your life for you since you are too dumb to do it yourself." I object fiercely to this type of philosophy.

Like I said, I'm not sure about McCain, but I'm pretty sure he isn't going to try to turn us into a Marxist government. If you listen to Obama's early speeches (before his handlers started softening everything he said), the dude is seriously terrifying. So is his wife, whom I think is a flaming racist. It isn't okay for anyone to be this way - black or white. I think Obama is a closet racist (else how could he have sat in a pew for 20 years listening to that crazy preacher spouting hatred?). Just not good. I'll take my chances with McCain.

Oh - nothing I say is intended to flame or be disrespectful. I really enjoy spirited RESPECTFUL debate because I think all parties can learn from it.

Anonymous,  11 September 2008 at 15:18  

Hi,

It's just the way of approach I think.
Nice written.

:-)
International Insurance Web World

Forward Steps 12 September 2008 at 05:35  

I'm in Australia, yet I wished we could all vote for your American president. It impacts globally, who is chosen by the American people.
It's difficult, sitting back and crossing my fingers that the USA chooses wisely.
I wholeheartedly agree with your last two lines.
Cheers, Thea

girltimecoaching.net 16 September 2008 at 06:52  

Love your blog!
I have an award for you!
http://christine-livepassionately.blogspot.com/

Cheers!
Christine :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP