Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Are you in control of your life or is your attitude?

>> 1 September 2010

"If you don’t like something, change it. 
If you can’t change it, change your attitude." 
-- Maya Angelou

Your company is restructuring.
Some people are laid off.
Some are promoted.
People are tense, out of their comfort zones and motivation is sneaking out the back door.

And you are in the middle of all this.

What do you do?

  1. jump on projects, work constructively and pro-actively, take change as an opportunity, share your enthusiasm, go out of your way to make it happen.
     
  2. quietly work according to the new rules, just wait until the dust settles.
     
  3. refuse to work like that, complain about the system, hoard any information because it means power.

That is your (RE)ACTION. It follows you around.

...

Your ATTITUDE is something completely different. It precedes you.

When you enter the room it tells people straight away:

  1. I love this. I am giving you the best person I can be. I will help you make this a success. I am great no matter the circumstances.
     
  2. I am ok with some of it. I need more convincing. I am afraid I might loose my job.
     
  3. I absolutely hate this. I am not going to comply until I have to.

Your attitude not only precedes you into a room, it also comes before your (re)actions.

So, who do you want to be?

2 comments:

Sangita 1 September 2010 at 09:10  

Hi Mimi,
It is said that, the way you want to see the world, you will have its view accordingly. Change your way of viewing and the view will be changed." Here comes something known as attitude. How we feel about something, good or bad, positive or negative is our attitude; our acts or behaviors are those driven by our attitudes, truly said. Attitudes are the forces (or I can say the psychic forces) that make you to perceive the things as you think about them. At times we are stubborn with these attitudes and restrict our thinking to just nothing thus failing in our attempts to progress.

Mindful Mimi 1 September 2010 at 10:39  

@ Sangita: how true. Complaining about the system is too easy. It puts you in the shoes of the victim. You are no longer in control. You have an excuse not to act, because it is after all someone else's fault. But in many circumstance we can change things or at least our reaction to it. And that is when our true force comes out.
Thanks for visiting again.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP