Mindful Mimi's blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.createandconnect.org/blog
and update your bookmarks.

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. -- from "Leisure," by W.H. Davies

>> 14 March 2009

Pearls before breakfast - do we really notice beauty when we see it?

Can one of the nation's greatest musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour? In an issue of the Washington Post Magazine Gene Weingarten sets out to discover if violinist Joshua Bell -- and his Stradivarius -- could stop busy commuters in their tracks.



The poet Billy Collins once laughingly observed that all babies are born with a knowledge of poetry, because the lub-dub of the mother's heart is in iambic meter. Then, Collins said, life slowly starts to choke the poetry out of us. It may be true with music, too.

If we can't take the time out of our lives to stay a moment and listen to one of the best musicians on Earth play some of the best music ever written; if the surge of modern life so overpowers us that we are deaf and blind to something like that -- then what else are we missing?


Read the full article at the Washington Post.

3 comments:

Lance 15 March 2009 at 00:40  

What are we missing, indeed? Makes me wonder what I would have done. Sadly, I think I would have walked by. Now...I'll just take a little more time to notice that around me. Thank you Mimi...

Mindful Mimi 17 March 2009 at 15:35  

I am not sure I would have stopped either. I am much more prone to voices and I guess I would have stopped hearing a good one. Then again, if I were in a hurry, I would have just hurried on.

Terri 23 March 2009 at 02:25  

This is a powerful illustration... I've seen it before, but thanks for the reminder!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP